Monday, June 27, 2005

Tom Cruise is a punchline

We've seen it coming for some time now. This month, our favorite wacky sports agent, bartender, pimp (seen Risky Business?), fighter jock, secret agent, navy lawyer, and Scientologist kook said: "There is no such thing as a chemical imbalance."

Outstanding. He "knows the history of psychiatry" and he can tell it's a pseudo science. Rilly truly, Tom? You know all that? I know the history of Scientology, which you may or may not, O destroyer of accents: www.xenu.net, also known as Operation Clambake, studytech.org, www.lermanet.com, and oh so many others. Scientology is a fraud and a scam and lie and a multilevel marketing scheme. It's not that L. Ron Hubbard was a science fiction author; as you might have gathered, I'm a fan of some of those. No, it's that Elron (as he's known, dang his flabby black heart to heck) invented a religion on purpose, filled it with lies and nonsense, and then hid the fact to the true believers he suckered in. He even told everyone that was his goal; see the links above.

Anyway, here's my fervent wish for Tom. If he believes that the cleansing/healing/ pseudoscientific fixes that the Scientologists did to him (for big bucks, I would guess) permanently protect him from alleged chemical imbalances... prove it.

Let Tom Cruise be injected with a chemical, in a double blind test. One hypodermic contains a serotonin reuptake inhibitor, or better yet an upper. Another one, a downer. If he says that he feels the same afterwards as he did before, great. He's proven that he's either a liar or actually immune to chemical imbalances - we can check that, with a simple blood test. Although an MRI or some such might help too.

Or if he insists that it's just street drugs "messing him up," not really a biological effect caused by known agents that act on the chemical basis for human cognition and emotion... then ignore him. He's an idiot.

If you see a t-shirt that says "Free Katie!" I recommend you buy it. So long as the proceeds go to the Katie Holmes Legal Defense Fund for vulnerable and hoodwinked young women.

5 Comments:

At 1:44 AM, June 28, 2005, Blogger Mike said...

Unrelated comment: After following you here from Evan's blawg, I've been reading your blawg for a week or so. I'm going to blogroll you when I get around to it. (Why haven't I updated my blogroll in many months, even though it only takes a few seconds? No answer.)

 
At 2:49 AM, June 28, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention what the leaders & other members do to people who want to leave.

 
At 9:09 AM, June 28, 2005, Blogger Joe G said...

Mike: thanks for writing, glad you're reading. Blogrolls, as you say, are almost impossible to motivate yourself to update. That's why I gave myself the (as yet incomplete) assignment to review certain other blawgs, as I discuss below, at Placeholder Post.

shell: you ain't whistlin'. Scientology is a big, mean, litigation machine, and allegedly not above destroying people's lives when they try to opt out. Is it unAmerican? Well, I support freedom of conscience, and tend to feel that religions (or quasi-religious organizations, or cults, or _whatever_) that restrict that freedom don't deserve much respect in return.

Thanks for commenting!

 
At 12:45 AM, July 02, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was diagnosed with a Bi-Polar Disorder in 1983. Finally.... there was an answer; an explanation and a treatment for my behavior. With the appropriate medication, prescribribed by a real M.D; a psychiatrist, my "world" and those around me, my husband; my children and my extended family's world became "noraml. Tom Cruise should only speak about those areas he has personal experience in. Vitamins,exercises and talk therapy had NEVER been the solution!!!

 
At 10:30 AM, July 04, 2005, Blogger Joe G said...

Marsha: Tom Cruise has a right of free speech, similar to (but presumably better-funded) than our own rights.

Let us, then, use it against him: let's quote him. Let's use the video, audio, and transcripts of his stupid, stupid, ill-informed, heartless, religiously motivated and yet inhumane and cruel rantings, and let us spread the truth. Not the revealed truth, not God's truth, only the truth of the world, God's world, as it is, not as a snake oil salesman would tell us it ought to be.

Vitamins are nice; I make some myself every time I stand in the sun. I also eat green plants, among other things.

Exercise is nice too.

Paxil is also nice, for people who are prescribed it by their doctors.

Diagnoses of depression, when properly made, probably ought to be, you know, _treated_ somehow. By someone who believes it exists as a syndrome, with symptoms, as a disease of sorts, rather than as Thetans in the brain. Talk therapy sounds odd- I don't know what you meant by it- a Hubbardite quack treatment? Talking about depression seldom helps against chemical imbalances, I know that.

We are none of us entitled to perfect health, but we are none of us condemned to a world in which medicine does not exist. Tom Cruise is a joke; it's too bad he's such a watchable actor.

Thanks for commenting, and I'm so glad that you were able to achieve what ought not be beyond the reach of any of us- normality.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home